Outback inverter actual ratings [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Mon Apr 30 19:32:01 PDT 2007

The best info I have been able to obtain about the Outback GVXF is
through Lloyd at Xantrex (Boy, is this a switch-a-roo or what?!) and
some previous OB employees/founders and Steve Higgins. Lloyd's e-mail is
pasted below.

It turns out the GVFX3648 is capable of 3kW selling and 3.6 kW inverting
(nothing about that disparity in the specifications). Mind you that
selling 3 kW will make this beast damn hot. The transformer on mine,
while selling 2900 watts with a 70 degree ambient temperature is 114
degrees C (238 degrees F)!! Evidently the transformers are rated to 150
degrees C (302 degrees F) but running anything that hot scares me. The
FETs and caps are running at 50 degrees C (123 F) and 48 degrees C (114
F) so not too bad there.

I am still trying to find out:
1) at exactly what air (transformer) "temp count" on the mate the
inverter will shut down at
2) will it throttle back first or just shut down
3) will it still pass grid AC to the back up loads when it has shut down
on over temp
4) what is more efficient, one unit running at 96% capacity or two
running at 48% capacity

Getting info about this from the wrench list, OB forum and e-mails to
Steve Higgins has been like pulling teeth. Evidently the engineers at OB
are no longer allowed to talk to those of us in the field, so questions
need to jump through the tech support staff hoops.

How times have changed.

Todd

======

Hey Todd. You are right...the GVFX does not sell full power at elevated
temps.

In order for inverters to qualify on the California Energy Commission
approved equipment list, the manufacturer has to prove its continuous
output power at 40 C. The 3600 watt GVFX is rated at 3037 continuous on
the CEC list....but again this is supposed to be good to 40 C. The SW
has a similar issue....however it does sell its CEC rated power to 40 C.

We have designed the XW to sell full power to the grid up to 40
C....like our GT Series inverters.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/cgi-bin/eligible_inverters.cgi

Lloyd Gomm
Director of Product Management, Solar & BUP Xantrex Technology Inc.
Email: lloyd.gomm at xantrex.com
Website: www.xantrex.com
t: 604/415-4685
m: 604/307-2587