Outback inverter actual ratings [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Mon Apr 30 06:12:16 PDT 2007

You might just be able to get away with 3500 STC watts of PV because the
inverter will likely only be selling around 2400 watts (67% of rated
power). Pushing it much beyond that (like I am doing) and you basically
end up with LOTS of additional heat.

Watch the "air (transformer) temp" reading. If it gets to around "45"
you are close to shutting down, and really even running it at "70" I
feel is to hot for the components to last very long. Contact me off list
for the conversion of temp counts in the mate to actual degrees C & F.

What I do not understand is that if it is called a 3600 watt inverter
(and the specifications say 3600 watts continuous) why does it max out
selling around 2800 watts before overheating at 25 degrees C?

The limitation is with the GVFX not the MX60. Mine is trying to sell
2900 watts and IMO gets really too hot to last very long. Yes, I am
pushing this stuff hard, but only to 80% of its rating. This is well
below what the manufacturer says:

Vented Models
VFX3648
48 VDC
Continuous Power Rating at 25 ° C 3600 VA/

How are we to design our systems if we cannot trust the manufacturer
specifications? If I was stating the specifications I would call it a
2800 watt inverter (GVFX2848). Is it typical for inverters to be
overrated like this?

Todd

Allan Sindelar wrote:

> Todd,
> Now I'm suddenly concerned: We have several Outback PS1 systems in
> operation, including one with 3,500 W of PV on the roof. This was
> checked
> out with Outback tech support, as the MX-60 is rated to max 3,200 W of
> PV.
> We haven't been through summer yet with this one: are we in for serious
> inverter overheating with this system?
>
> I could sure use some reassurance from C. Freitas about now, after
> reading
> your post.
> Allan at PosE

- - - -