remote home protection [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Sun Apr 15 13:30:49 PDT 2007

We have a remote off grid customer that was plagued with theft at his rarely
occupied cabin.  About a year ago we installed dummy camera's complete with
a flashing LED (powered by a 9v battery) and put up very official looking
"Protected by Electronic Security" signs.  No problems since then but they
also pretty much cleaned him out the last time so maybe they've just not
came back.  He was broke into at least 3x's before and it was probably the
same crooks each time.

We looked into all sorts of real security systems.  Most of them required a
phone line.  All required electricity, etc.  Motion sensing cameras have
limited memory and so what if you get a picture of the people ransacking
your place?  You still have to find them and it might be two months after
the crime before you even discover it.  We found the local deputy sheriff's
unable/unwilling to help.  Even caught one of them on the customers place
hunting once...how do you tell an armed sheriff to get off of your property?
Sounds like the same things you are going through.

This customer as well as other customers who've had problems and myself all
suspect that the most likely suspects are people who've been there working.
This afforded them ability to "case the joint".  IE; it's probably not the
plumber himself but the transient laborer he hired the week before that job
and who quit a quite/got fired a week later.

It might be anecdotal but customers who built everything themselves have had
the least problems.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services