ACR Skyline solar water heater [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Sat Apr 7 10:18:30 PDT 2007

Hi Bob,

You and the other solar thermal company have hit on the benefit and
liability of all twinwall polycarbonate glazed collectors.

Lightweight vs.
Reduced service life

All the plastics manufacturers limit their warranty to 10 years (for very
good reason). Not only is the plastic brittle after ten years in the sun,
but even if it doesn't crack on its own (mother nature will assist with
hail, etc.) it will discolor thereby degrading the performance even if it
does remain intact. Yes you can ship the two foot wide panels by UPS but
performance is based on surface area so you add another two foot wide panel
to get to the same size competition that ACR compares itself to at the end
of their specs web page.
http://www.solarroofs.com/going/features.html#features
To make the analogy to the pv world, would you rather put in two 75 watt
modules or one 150 watt?

I believe Travis used these (or similar) liquid collector panels at one
time. Perhaps he would care to comment? My experience with polycarbonate is
limited to applications involving hot air panels. Where are the AAA boys
when you need them?<G>

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar