Advise sought for large off grid PV system; 480 volt 3-phase [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Mar 29 09:50:41 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

One concern about the cost effectiveness of extremely large off grid
systems is the price of the battery bank, battery maintenance costs,
the volatility of the investment, as well as the eventual replacement cost.

One possible approach to this system would be to keep at least one
generator on line to create a local grid, and to feed this local
system with grid interactive inverters.  There are a lot of possible
variables to such a system, including smaller distributed battery
banks as well as a number of Sunny Island type inverters feeding
input from various arrays.

With such a system, the high voltage line could be fed from the solar
at the secondary voltage of the transformers.  The existing
transformers would step up the voltage from the inverters to the high
voltage transmission line potential as in any utility situation.

With distributed PV sources and two generators that could work
together or cover each other during fault or maintenance episodes,
the system should be relatively reliable.

Drake

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php