roof top cooling [RE-wrenches]

Steve Fain sfain at unirac.com
Mon Mar 26 09:43:54 PDT 2007

Hi Jay,
	Exactly two years ago there was a Wrenches thread that I asked
Smitty at AAA Solar to post for me (subject: Panel Cooling), asking the same
thing.  Bill Brooks responded with information about a study he did a number
of years ago correlating cell temperature with air circulation (module
height above the roof), and the effects on module efficiency.  Please
contact me off-list for the 1.5MB PDF of the study that he sent me.  I quote
from Bill's synopsis:

"Bottom line is that 3" from the bottom of the frame to the roof deck is the
minimum for cooling.  When you get up around 6" things start looking strange
aesthetically.  3" gap only runs 5C hotter than an open rack and 6" gap only
runs 2C hotter than an open rack.  General recommendation based on this
study is 3-4" gap is the best compromise between cooling and aesthetics."

Steve Fain

Customer Service/ Tech Support

UniRac, Inc.

1411 Broadway Blvd. NE