microhydro for RE portfolio standards [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 24 08:09:19 PDT 2007

${top_text_ad}
Eric, microhydro was excluded from the rebated RE systems when California
first started encouraging RE growth in the mid-90s for a couple reasons. The
biggest one was that none of the big power companies want more capacity at
night. They're already doing big complex pump-by-night, hydro-by-day
projects and offering nighttime power at 4 cents per kW to try and use some
of their excess capacity from the big baseline plants that don't adjust
output easily. And second, microhydro didn't have any lobby or political
force to make their story heard. Both these reasons are still valid.

Cheers,
Doug Pratt
DC Power Systems