microhydro for RE portfolio standards [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Sun Mar 25 17:36:57 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Eric,
Fair question.
I don't know the answer but I have some guesses.

As you say, microhydro has the stink of big dam hydro on it.  Big Dam
hydro is our not-much-talked-about environmental nightmare. If you
think that's not true, ask a fish. I think it's partly because,
unlike most of the nastier ways we make electricity, it doesn't give
tens of thousands of people asthma, make our bodies mutate until they
begin to eat themselves, or drain our youth and treasure for energy
wars. By comparison to all that, it's benign as hell. And, it's
localized so that the disaster is remote and NIMBY. So it's way down
the list of priorities.
On the other hand, we (speaking as a society, not as an individual)
really don't want to "encourage" it anymore either. The reality is,
pretty much all hydro involves damming to one degree or another.
Doesn't necessarily mean that a small dam and diversion has a serious
impact on local fish or flora, but some do. Who makes the call? Based
on who's version of what science? Run of river? You ever hear of high
water? Bad investment.
Even if it were encouraged via an RPS, there just aren't that many
<100KVA (the usual definition of micro) hydro sites that can be
developed anymore. Put  all the potential 1-5KVA systems that are
possible together and what does it add up to? 1 MW? 5MW? In the big
scheme of things, big deal.
Then there's the money.
California does not allow microhydro systems to be net metered. My
understanding is that the original net metering bill which started it
all in CA contained a provision for micro as well. The final law did
not. I don't know for sure why not, but I can guess that the
utilities didn't want to "pay" (by offsetting) retail for excess
power generated in the middle of the night when they can't make a
profit on it.
Good Luck getting past all that jazz.
Bob-O

On Mar 23, 2007, at 11:11 PM, Eric Youngren wrote:

> Why is microhydro not considered "renewable energy" in most of the
> states
> that have passed mandatory renewable energy portfolio standards
> (RPS) for
> utilities?
>

> http://www.awea.org/legislative/pdf/State_RPS_Fact_Sheet_UPdated.pdf
>

> In my mind a well designed and installed microhydro system
> connected to the
> utility grid is producing electricity that is just as renewable and
> non-polluting as a wind generator or a landfill gas plant or CSP
> array.
>

> Is anyone working on developing a standard for truly low impact
> microhydro?
> I know there is the Low Impact Hydropower Institute with their
> certification
> program but those guys are dealing with major dams on navigable
> rivers.
> I'm talking about the really small stuff on creeks in the
> headwaters.  Run
> of the river systems of less than a certain kW rating, maybe.
>

> Obviously hydropower has a troubled history when it comes to
> environmental
> damage.   Dams can really screw up an ecosystem.     But I'm not
> talking
> about dams.   Well designed and installed run of the river systems
> are no
> more impacting to the environment than a wind farm or a big methane
> digester.
>

> In some parts of the country the available resource for distributed
> generation of firm power from micro and pico hydro is pretty
> huge.    Direct
> grid connection with induction motor/generators is simple and
> robust or
> rectified DC fed into a Windyboy or similar batteryless inverter is an
> off-the-shelf configuration available now with a UL sticker to make
> the
> inspector and utility happy.
>

> Inclusion on state and federal incentives, tax credits and portfolio
> standards would make a lot more installations cost effective and
> provide
> more work for those of us who like to drag pipes around in the woods.
>

> Is there anybody else out there who is doing anything about this?
>

> Eric Youngren
>
> Rainshadow Solar
>
> Orcas, WA

- - - -