Outback taking up load, this might be stupid. [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 11:20:50 PST 2007

Thanks Christopher
Yes the client is in a rural setting.
I asked the client and he said that the lights used to
blink before the solar was installed, when the pump
and electric dryer came on. Since the solar was
installed the lights no longer blink.  This was not my
install job but the pump and the dryer are both on the
critical circuits panel.

The problem I was called to fix was the well man came
to fix the pressure switch and got zapped even after
he shut off the well switch and the well pump breaker
on the outpack panel.  Some strange wiring of the x240
and the well control..

Darryl  PS the reason I had not notice before is it
probibly did not occur on most systems where the grid
is firm.

--- Christopher Freitas  --- OutBack Power
<cfreitas at outbackpower.com> wrote:

> Darryl -
>
> I assume that this is a system using our grid-tie
> GVFX type inverter.
> If so - this is normal and expected - especially if
> the grid connection
> is "soft" meaning a rural area or heavily loaded
> residential area
> distribution system.
>
> Effectively, the impedance of the OutBack inverter
> is lower than the
> impedance of the grid - the OutBack is trying to
> keep the AC voltage
> level acceptable but can only do what the PV array
> (together with some
> of the battery power) allows.  Once it sees the PV
> voltage drop (because
> it is pulling to much power from the PV array) it
> will then let the AC
> voltage drop a bit resulting in the grid picking up
> the load.
>
> I don't think this will cause any problems - it is
> something that the
> old SW series has also always done as well.  It can
> even be considered
> as an additional benefit perhaps...
>
> Christopher
>
> Christopher Freitas
> OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
> cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
> www.outbackpower.com
> Arlington WA USA
> Tel 360 435 6030
>

> Darryl Thayer wrote:
> >
> > this might be a stupid question, but I am old, so
> cut
> > me some slack,  I was out to repair an outback
> system.
> >
> > the problem was some strange wiring.
> >
> > When the AC load comes in the Outback will start
> > sell power, inverter DC to AC then shortly the
> > inverter will give up load and it is picked up by
> Firm
> > AC.  Soon the outback in not selling and the firm
> AC
> > is picking up the load.
> >
> > Is this normal?, if not what could be causing it?,
> > have I just not noticed it before?
> >
> > Darryl

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php