Outback taking up load, this might be stupid. [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Feb 9 15:53:13 PST 2007

Darryl -

I assume that this is a system using our grid-tie GVFX type inverter.
If so - this is normal and expected - especially if the grid connection
is "soft" meaning a rural area or heavily loaded residential area
distribution system.

Effectively, the impedance of the OutBack inverter is lower than the
impedance of the grid - the OutBack is trying to keep the AC voltage
level acceptable but can only do what the PV array (together with some
of the battery power) allows.  Once it sees the PV voltage drop (because
it is pulling to much power from the PV array) it will then let the AC
voltage drop a bit resulting in the grid picking up the load.

I don't think this will cause any problems - it is something that the
old SW series has also always done as well.  It can even be considered
as an additional benefit perhaps...

Christopher

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Darryl Thayer wrote:

> this might be a stupid question, but I am old, so cut
> me some slack,  I was out to repair an outback system.
>
> the problem was some strange wiring.
>
> When the AC load comes in the Outback will start to
> sell power, inverter DC to AC then shortly the
> inverter will give up load and it is picked up by Firm
> AC.  Soon the outback in not selling and the firm AC
> is picking up the load.
>
> Is this normal?, if not what could be causing it?,
> have I just not noticed it before?
>
> Darryl

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com