starting a 1 HP well pump with a VFX3648 [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Sat Jan 27 01:55:10 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Colleagues:

I have published a voltage drop calculation spreadsheet on my web site
(http://mpandc.com/resources/resources.html) that I think has some distinct
advantages over any others I have seen:

-It allows you to view voltage drops for a wide variety of conductors at a
glance.  This is very useful when making a judgement call on what gauge to
select by considering a range of sizes.
-The spreadsheet works for AC and DC circuits.
-The spreadsheet works at any voltage and amperage you choose to input.

Let me know if you use it and like it.  It makes me smile when I can help a
colleague.

William Miller

At 01:21 PM 1/26/2007, you wrote:

>Hi Kurt and Todd
>Yes I agree with Kurt, volt drop in the wire is very
>important,  Measure the running amps, look up the wire
>size, look in NEC Chapter 9 Table 8 and find the wire
>size--ohms/1000 feet and calculate the volt drop VD= I
>x ohms/kft x (total ft round trip)/1000, This should
>not bemore than 3 or 5%
>
>As to capacitor size, we always put a larger capacitor
>on a hard starting motor.  (there may be some trick in
>regards to the inverter that I am unaware of however.}

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com