Roofing Question [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Tue Jan 23 16:43:27 PST 2007

Scrape the gravel off the tar, a hammer claw works, then brush the tar with
a metal brush, blast the dust away using a can of office depot compressed
air, stick a bolt in the hole, flash the tar with a torch for a couple of
seconds, pull out the bolt, butter the bottom of your mount with Henry's
204, put a bolt through the mount, butter the bolt, then fasten it down,
tight, into a rafter.  If it's real cold outside, take the lid off the can
of Henry's and blast the surface with your torch, stir it up a bit, and if
the Henry's starts burning just put the lid back on the extinguish.  I've
sealed many thousands of penetrations on flat hot mop gravel roofs, and
never had a leak.

If you use Sikaflex, I would definitely use compressed air to clean dust
away from the penetration.  And if you torch the tar, make sure you have a
spray bottle of water, just in case, but I've never needed mine.

Cheers,
Graham Owen

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com