Long residential feeder [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Fri Jan 5 17:26:02 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

We use Aluminum URD direct burial for long AC runs; the price just can't
be beat. Much easier than conduit over 200 ft. When sizing, I also look
at volt drop during starting surges for pumps, power tools, etc. to make
sure I'm not dropping below the minimum voltage allowed for the
particular device. I usually keep  it below 6%, though some things can
stand a drop to 10% for a couple of seconds.
We just ran 2000 ft for a well pump, voltage at startup at the pump was
235 vac (from pair of SW 4024s), while the generator used previously at
the well head wa s dragging down to 210 vac.

Ray

>A Colorado inspector told me to size the feeder for the load.  He stated that performance issues were between the customer and myself.  Different inspectors might have a different take on this. Certainly head room should be left for future expansion.
>

>On long runs, I'm in favor of running conductors in parallel.  You will use less metal to achieve the desired VD, and the pulling will be a lot easier.
>

>-Drake

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php