Sheet Metal for DR's [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Sat Dec 15 02:33:51 PST 2007

Right on Ray,

If I hadn't known the new owner for about 20 years and this job wasn't just
a few miles from the shop we wouldn’t even be thinking about taking it.
I've told at least a dozen folks in the last 6 months "that we don't work
that far from the shop anymore" (which is true since we have greatly reduced
our service area) and make sure they have the name of some other dealers in
the region.  Sometime they tell me "they are the ones that put it in to
begin with".  At that point it's also very important to remember that there
are two sides to every story which is another reason I've pretty much quit
taking this kind of work.

We learned long ago that cleaning up other peoples messes is so thankless
and just plain crappy work that it's nearly impossible to charge enough to
make it worth the time to do.  I'm all about helping folks out of jamb but
it's got to work for me to.  Most of the "clean up on Aisle 4" callers are
so shocked when I tell them the first step is site visit at full shop rate
including drive time both ways it's the last time I ever hear from them.
Which never ceases to astonish me...they've got at least $10k (sometimes a
lot more) tied up in the project and they won't pay someone to come out and
trouble shoot it.  My rates are pretty much the same as the local
electrician charges.

We'll all probably get a kick out of this; the prior owner of this system
had 24 L-16's hooked up to 750 watts of solar!  I explained to the new owner
that it was likely the batteries we're self discharging about half of the
array's daily production away.

I've got some used PS4 stuff and some used original Trace Power Stuff that I
can clean up and make work.  I had hoped for a more compact solution but it
looks like that's not going to happen.

Thanks,
Travis