Flex ware inverter bypass slide [RE-wrenches]

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Thu Nov 29 14:09:39 PST 2007

Howie Michaelson wrote:
> So boB,
> What is the Magnum story on the charging parameters and possible
> upgrades?

I believe that for the MS Sinewave inverter/chargers, custom battery
voltage setpoints will be available for units manufactured within the
last 6 to 9 months or so withOUT an upgrade to the inverter itself.
However, you would need a newer remote or a Magnum Hub/Router (sort of a
super remote) shipping in just a few months.  An MS inverter built
before that time would need a control board swap-out as well as a remote
to control those custom setpoints.  Unless Dave Allegre is REALLY fast
at his new remote control, (Dave did the SW Plus code at Xan-Trace), the
Magnum 6 port Hub/Router will be first to be able to control these
parameters.

> And RF?

Sorry... Can't say I know much about the RFI/EMI reduction schedule at
the moment.

(somebody mentioned the lower RFI on the SW I think)...
 These high frequency inverters like the MS and OB and X-verters tend to
make more VHF and high shortwave interference, and the lower frequency
inverters (like mod-square and old SWs) tend to make more AM and lower
frequency shortwave interference because of the lower switching
frequencies and BIG sharp edge switching.  Actually, both topologies
have sharp switching edges but the lower frequency units swing one BIG
voltage step at a low rate where the high frequency units swing a small
voltage at a repetition high rate to emulate the sinewave.

The comments regarding this RFI have been forwarded to the others here.
 Maybe more info for you soon on this... We'll see.  Of course, you can
be FCC Class B compliant and still make RFI.  Or, you could be FCC
compliant and not have a sticker.  Being a ham myself, I want the EMI to
be gone at my operating frequencies.

> And any new info about the "Classic" ?

Well, it looks like that in about a month MidNite will be sending out
some pre-trial units (an alpha I guess you call it) and hopefully the
beta should follow a couple months after that. Some of you will be
working with us on that.  As Robin says "engineers lie" about production
dates, and I really don't like to do that, so I think I will leave it at
that other than to say the Classic is looking (and has worked) REALLY
good and I KNOW you're going to like it.  But that's not what you want
to hear...  You just want the REAL thing !!    (so do I)

boB

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com