Tri-Metric (was Flexnet DC) [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Nov 14 18:43:18 PST 2007

Nick,
We have long had a basic policy that every battery-based system gets a
Tri-Metric, and have never regretted it. We don't experience the problems
you describe, so maybe it's your setup. Here are a few secrets I have
learned over the years:
1. We always set the display (in setup mode from the blank screen) to P01,
not P00: 1% increments, automatic reset. This eliminates the useless "FUL",
allows closer incremental readings, and eliminates the need for the customer
to reset anything except the EQ counter. (The 1% option is a main reason we
have never used the Xantrex/Trace TM500 meter, which lacked that option.)
2. We set the amp-hours somewhat lower than actual C/20 or C/100 rates, to
build in a bit of reserve.
3. We always go over use of all of the functions upon system startup and
orientation, emphasizing percent and amps as key functions. We downplay
voltage as only a "corroborating value" that will reveal patterns as it
becomes familiar.
4. Years ago we prepared a Tri-Metric log form (thanks to Dan Rice), several
copies of which go in the system manual. We tell the customer to fill it out
several times a day/night for the first couple of weeks, then daily for a
couple of months, until patterns begin to emerge and the system indicators
become familiar.
5. The Tri-Met goes in the kitchen or hall, not the power room; it's got to
be a part of daily consciousness to be used.
6. 97H works well with standard flooded batteries, 94H won't always reset.
7. Set the charged voltage setting far enough below temperature-compensated
controller bulk voltage to allow reset when the batteries are warm in late
summer. We use about 0.8V with a 24V system. Set amps to around 2% of
battery capacity; more (or even defeated) with an undersized array.

The real beauty of all this is that we can often avoid callbacks and
billable service calls by phone troubleshooting. And the CAH is our ace in
the hole when batteries fail before the customer thought they should have.

Hope this helps.
Allan at Positive Energy