opportunity to address pumbing code issues [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Tue Nov 13 22:21:18 PST 2007

Conrad,

The question of single wall vs. double wall heat exchangers is an issue in
some jurisdictions. The fact that boiler systems can heat sidearm tanks with
single wall heat exchangers, but solar thermal systems using non-toxic
propylene glycol working fluid require double wall heat exchangers is an
impediment to solar where they're required, IMO. You may want to address
this with the inspectors there.

I'm licensed in Utah. There's an existing solar license classification that
lists "solar energy equipment" (a vestige of the 70's and 80's) that some of
us have used for PV as well as Thermal. Utah has recently put together a PV
specialty contractor's license classification. Those of us with the old
license doing both PV and Thermal will qualify for the new PV license. The
old solar license will be reassigned to Thermal only. Thermal allows
plumbing up to the point of interconnection (allows the installer to do the
tie-in), but the new PV license forbids work on AC systems and equipment
(though it specifically permits work with inverters, which are AC equipment,
last I checked! And NABCEP certification is REQUIRED by the State for the PV
license -it's the de-facto license exam and qualification program -I'm not
in favor). So a PV license holder is required to have a licensed electrician
do all of the AC work.

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.
NABCEP PV certified -yes