2007 Energy Bill without solar incentives? [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 9 08:05:59 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Hi Pat,

The fight continues.

This morning I made telephone calls (again) to my 2 senators and 1
congresswoman.

In 1982 I wrote: As of this writing, there has been talk around Washington
to repeal the federal energy credits. Unless that happens, we have a good
law on the books. For years taxpayers have been subsidizing nonrenewable
energy businesses. Worse yet, we are forced to pay millions of dollars each
year to prop up a failing nuclear power industry.

In 1987 I wrote: On January 1, 1986, the 40% federal tax credit, worth up to
$4000 of the cost of a residential solar electric power system, was
repealed. Every now and then there are unsuccessful efforts to revive solar
energy tax credits. Few in Congress wanted to give credits because of the
growing deficit. We had a good law on the books and now it is gone.
Taxpayers have been subsidizing non-renewable energy businesses for years.
Worse, we are forced to pay billions of dollars each year to prop up a
failing nuclear power industry. Needless to say, to compete with other forms
of energy production in the marketplace PV needs the same tax breaks allowed
non-renewables.

Joel Davidson