Generwreck auto start [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Sun Oct 28 08:45:08 PDT 2007

Text of an earlier post, in case others are looking for additional genset

I've had success with the Coleman Powermate PM401211, their 11.5 kW (standby
rating) unit. (Thanks to Jeremy at All Solar for the leg up on this unit).
It runs a Honda V-twin, 24hp engine, EPA & CARB Certified on propane/NG, is
2-wire start, set up for propane/NG out of the box, minimal phantom load on
starting battery, (10 w module to the starting battery handles the load
fine), onboard starting battery charging when engine is running,
weatherproof sound attenuator housing, mounted on a base plate so it can be
placed on a gravel base out in the open without further mounting hardware or
enclosure, dual rating, including lower output rating for long-duration
standby operation (11 kW), 3 year/1500 hour warranty (factory service rep
told me that off grid does not void warranty, but I don't have that in
writing), and "reasonably" priced ($4200 or thereabouts). Drawbacks:
3600rpm, air cooled, 120/240 only (not reconfigurable for 120 full output).
Coleman also offers a 20 hp10 kW model (PM400911) -same type Honda V-twin,
same basic unit, only lower output. I haven't used this one -customers have
chosen the larger units due to local availability. I guess for on-grid
standby, folks tend to spend the extra few hundred for the bigger unit.

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.