Generwreck auto start [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Fri Oct 26 20:28:30 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Hey Nick, Larry, et all

This is a lot like the new Kohler RY models that use a big pigtail plug
for a multitude of external connections - if you just want to run a pair
of remote start wires you have to order a "special" plug adapter that
connects to the blankeyblank pigtail. There is now no way possible to
make your connection in any of the control modules, since some wiseguy
decided to pot all those circuits that were formally very well labeled
and easy to make your connections with.

But I digress. You will find that, should you call Generac, you will be
told that they are only meant as standby units, not for stand alone
applications, and that you will be messing with any warrantys if you
adapt them for other purposes. Not that you can't rig it to work, but
what happens with the Xfer switch, etc., when you do? I admit that I
hate Generacs, from the little ones to the big ones, and don't have much
patience with "trying" to get them to work, since after you do, you
still have a Generac! ;-) The really weird thing is that Siemens is now
private labeling them. What the? You still might try to get a schematic
for that particular build right from Generac, but rest assured that you
will go through several rings of Hell to get it.

Just to make sure that I am being completely tangential, I feel that
Lister, Caterpillar, Multi-Quip and Onan are about the only remaining
makers that offer generators in the right sizes for off-grid that are
worth a hoot: excellent power quality, 1800 RPM, built like REAL
industrial equipment, and priced that way. I think that only Lister and
Onan are offering LP sets with Diesel engines modified for gaseous fuel.
It would be pretty cool if Honda were to come out with a larger version
of their inverter gensets, but they sure don't show any signs of doing so.

Good luck with the wires!

Matt T

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php