Battery enclosures and NEC [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Oct 4 13:22:02 PDT 2007

John, maybe a little of this might help.

I use plywood too, because it's familiar, available, and works, and because
I worked 20 years as a carpenter/woodworker in a former life.

For many sets of batteries, 4' x 8' is an awkward dimension. 4 L-16s require
about 50-52" in one dimension, which leaves a lot of scrap. What I have had
great success with is a type of plywood called "Baltic Birch", that is
commonly used for better cabinet drawer carcases. It comes in 5' x 5'
sheets, so the waste is minimal. The 1/2" material has nine plies, so it's
very easy to glue and fasten to and very dimensionally stable. These
features also let it almost double as furniture or cabinetry, as it finishes
well and looks very professional. We get it through lumber wholesalers, not
retail yards; in our area it's delivered. It costs $30-40/sheet, and two
sheets pretty much does one typical box if carefully laid out.

For a relatively inexpensive liner, try "pond liner" at Home Despot. It's
about $15/linear foot, but is some 10' wide, so one length does two boxes. I
have seen both PVC and EPDM sold as pond liner; I think the EPDM is less
toxic to the environment, both in manufacture and disposal.

We put battery boxes indoors whenever we can, in either a heated or at least
a tempered space. This is to maintain effective capacity during winter by
keeping the batteries warmer. We always use a Power Vent to control
ventilation and prevent backdraft. I will often add a toe-kick base to my
battery boxes, similar to a kitchen base cabinet. It makes servicing the
batteries much easier, to be able to stand close to the box.

I have never understood the point of insulating a battery box, and I wish
someone would explain it to me. In RE applications during cold weather, the
charging process creates a negligible amount of heat. If the batteries are
in an unheated space, and there's no source of heat to keep them warm, they
will eventually settle at the average seasonal ambient temperature of the
space where the box is located. Insulation only slows the rate at which the
cool off and warm up; they'll eventually reach the same temperature with or
without the insulation. So what am I missing here?

Allan at Positive Energy