Battery enclosures and NEC [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Thu Oct 4 11:51:59 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Thanks all for the great feedback to my earlier questions.

One additional question I have about "site-built" fiberglass or HDPE
liners fabricated from sheet stock:  By definition, there are gaps
between the bottom deck and the side lips.  What's the best
acid-resistant caulk material to use to seal those interfaces?

We've looked at the pre-fab spill containment trays from time to time,
our problem is that it costs at least as much and perhaps even more to
ship than the item itself costs, and there's so many variations on
battery sizes, orientations, etc.  That same rule about buying pre-fab
also applies to battery boxes unless they can be broken down for
shipping.  We're 10 hours drive from the nearest full line solar
distributor, 3 hours from the nearest freight depot so we rarely pick
up anything ourselves, and all freight is interlined.

I hear Jeff's comments about moving to commercially built boxes
someday, but they add significant expense, even without the shipping
costs.  I would hope for a compromise solution where construction
techniques and materials are more fully specified for all important
details, such as acid resistance, flame retardancy, strength, back
draft protection, no access without a tool, etc.

We build our enclosures out of 3/4 plywood for the deck, 1/2 OSB sides
and top, with 1-1/2 to 2 inches of foam all around.  We rip framing
lumber into appropriate sizes for strength and fastening support on all
edges.  I try to avoid site built wherever possible, so I have a basic
design that breaks down into  6 or 7 flat pieces for transport to site.
  If I can pre-build at the shop things always turns out better.  That
pretty much applies to everything we do.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey UT