Demand heater for SHW backup [RE-wrenches]

Wilco Vercoelen w.vercoelen at dommelvalley.ca
Wed Aug 22 07:48:03 PDT 2007

Hi guys,

I can tell you from my experience that on demand water heaters are
preferable to tanks, because the do not have the standby losses. This makes
them more efficient in usage, but not as a unit itself which is about
90%-95%, which is still pretty good. There is a difference between the two.
If you combine solar hot water with an on demand modulating boiler the
volume of water is greater than without, because the unit does not have to
work that intensively, temperature rise.
We prefer Gas over Electric because of efficiency and the possibility of
going off the grid in the future.
It takes a little longer to get hot water when you open the tap, but also
depends how long the lines are. Conventional systems can also take up to 30
seconds to get hot water, so you decide. We tested this at different houses.
With demand systems, the unit requires a minimum water demand to start up or
kick in.
The lifespan of a demand boiler is 20 years compared to 13 years for a
conventional tank. Keep in mind the quality of water when you are on a well.
Preferable is the Rinnai 2532. With everything, there is good quality and
bad quality.
Some of the systems installed where poorly installed with all the problems
associated with it. If you want to combine radiant heat with on demand check
the Viessmann Combi unit 6-24C.
It also depends on how flexible you are as a human being when it comes down
to change. People are generally sticky.

Good luck!
----

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com