Demand heater for SHW backup [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Wed Aug 22 06:16:58 PDT 2007

We've used tanked propane water heaters in low load radiant in floor
applications and domestic water heating. They were the power vent style
models with an electronically controlled igniter so no standing pilot light.
Plus a damper built into the power vent that automatically closed when the
burner wasn't firing which would help with draft losses and tighten up the
building envelope.  These models are readily available locally and
reasonably priced (less then $600 the last time we bought one).  Energy
factor on these units is in the low to upper 60's. Not the greatest but they
do everything else so well.

Regarding tanked units heating up the tanks thus leaving nothing for the
solar to do is easily and effectively handled.  With a standard electric
water heater you put a timer 240v timer on it to prevent from getting
electricity during the day time and preferably a small window in the night.
The same can be done with the propane power vent unit instead you use a
simple 120v plug in timer.  In both cases you must coach the customer to be
proactive about managing their hot water usage.  Just using delay timers
that are built into most dishwashers and clothes washer is tremendously
effective.  Many of our customers turn the breakers off to their water
heaters in the early spring then back on later in the fall after their 2nd
or 3rd luke warm shower.

We are not fans of tank less water heaters.  We've had too many reliability
and customer usage problems with them.  I'm totally confident that if you
looked at the total 10 or 20 year cost of ownership of a tankless unit vs.
standard unit the tankless would loose.

Just my 2 cents.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services