LA Fire Dept, PV clearance guidelines [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Sat Aug 11 18:22:15 PDT 2007

Several solar contractors' have recently mentioned to me that the new LAFD
clearance (walkway-access) guidelines apply to solar thermal as well as PV.
I'm wondering if this is true.

I found a link to the LA Building Dept Solar Guidelines, and from my reading
of it, the clearance only applies to PV.

http://tinyurl.com/ypy3jl

It's not a question I want to bring up at the building dept while pulling
permits.

Here's a link to the new LAFD PV guidelines.

http://www.lafd.org/prevention/pdfforms/solar_pwr_req.pdf

Four feet of clearance from the ridge seems excessive to me, especially for
south facing arrays with no modules on the other side of the roof.  I've
worked in many attics and don't recall ever seeing a solid wall dividing the
attic.  I like to mount solar panels just below the ridge cap, with 6" bolts
into the main beam, seems faster and more secure than finding rafters for
the top row of mounts.

I know of no approved module quick release mechanisms, perhaps something
like nuts with handles, such as on bicycle wheels.  I'd actually feel more
comfortable installing security type fasteners that need a special tool for
removal, to stymie the criminal element in this town.

Graham Owen

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com