Galvanic Corrosion [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Thu Jul 19 19:11:08 PDT 2007

Jim,

I understand the concept of galvanic corrosion and cathodic protection, and
the difference between that and soil corrosion due to soil acidity. I think
your discussion of copper electrodes answers the question. Use copper
electrodes and this is really not much of an issue and will save a lot of
copper in the process.

If lightning is an issue, which it is in many places, I will usually bury a
bare copper grounding electrode conductor connecting the two ground rods
together for maximum protection--no galvanic corrosion because no potential
difference. Also no grounded conductor connection to ground at the array.
Surge arrestors on all conductors (grounded and not grounded).

Bill.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com