Inverter Output Circuit and DC GEC requirements [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Tue Jun 19 21:15:04 PDT 2007

Mike,

What the code allows and what is good design can be two very different
things. That is why I don't like people getting overly focused on the fact
that the dc is technically a separately derived system according to the
code. That idea will lead you, and many jurisdictional authorities down the
wrong road from a design point of view. It is critical that the dc is
referenced to the exact same grounding source as the ac to prevent the
transistors in the inverter from being fried in a transient (e.g.
lightning).

For a standard building 208Vac separately derived ac system fed from a
480Vac main panel, grounding to building steel is no big deal, because a big
dumb transformer is between the two ac systems. That is simply not the case
with a PV inverter. With PV there are very sensitive power transistors that
work exactly like surge arrestors when the dc circuit ground goes to one
voltage while the ac is at another voltage (they are very expensive surge
arrestors, however). NEC 690.47(C) should not be read as "permitted", but it
really should be read "must". Electrically it is not dangerous to have two
separate grounds--unless you are the inverter--then it is deadly.

If a code inspector requires you to derive a separate ground (690.47(C)(1)),
ALWAYS tie that ground to the ac grounding electrode. The bummer to this
method is that you must use the larger of the two GECs to run between the
two grounding systems (you are creating a grounding electrode system). If
you hold off and tie into the ac grounding electrode (690.47(C)(2)), the
conductor only has to be sized according to the dc side, which is almost
always smaller.

Bill.

Bill Brooks, PE
Brooks Engineering
873 Kells Circle
Vacaville, CA 95688
office and mobile phone: 707-332-0761
fax:707-451-7739
email: billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
web: www.brooksolar.com

Ecclesiastes 11:7 Light is sweet, and it pleases the eyes to see the sun.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael_welch at sbcglobal.net