Flash Test Data [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Mon Jun 18 19:02:17 PDT 2007

Joel,

My personal experience is that accuracy has improved and collaboration among
labs is substantially better than it used to be. I was involved in the
round-robin testing of several modules for a client and testing was done at
FSEC, NREL, and Sandia. The results were +/- 1.5% which can be considered
almost too good to be true since it included both flash testing and outdoor
testing. I believe that with careful measurements, +/-3% accuracy is
possible and should be expected. How come the manufacturers can achieve such
amazing accuracy in hitting their minimum ratings so consistently? It begs
the question of whether or not they know how to rate their modules--I think
they do because a watt saved is a watt earned according to the MBAs.

The PV industry has hidden behind the accuracy argument for decades and
needs to grow up and act like the responsible 20-something year-old that it
wants everyone in the world to think that it is. If I hear another whiney PV
manufacturer BS on this subject, I'm going to take them outback and spank
them like a six year-old. (sorry for the analogy for all you who don't
believe in corporal punishment).

Bill.

Bill Brooks, PE
Brooks Engineering
873 Kells Circle
Vacaville, CA 95688
office and mobile phone: 707-332-0761
fax:707-451-7739
email: billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
web: www.brooksolar.com

Ecclesiastes 11:7 Light is sweet, and it pleases the eyes to see the sun.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael_welch at sbcglobal.net