Flash Test Data [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 18 17:36:21 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Hi David,

I like Evergreen modules and the company, but I question any PV module test
that claims better than -/+5% accuracy. Even with a 3-way round-robin
shipping calibration reference cells and modules every 6 months, the best
NREL and 2 PV manufacturers could achieve was -/+5% accuracy.

In 1994, Keith Emery, NREL engineer and one of the most experienced PV
testers in the world, wrote, "I would expect less than a 3% difference in
Isc and 5% in efficiency between my measurements and measurement performed
by another calibration laboratory. When I compare with other laboratories a
difference in efficiency of 10% for cells or modules is often encountered
unless we have had substantial interactions to reduce the uncertainty. Many
of these differences are related to contacting (are wires attached, voltage
contract to sample isolated from current contact), spectral mismatch error,
and reference cell calibration."

Nothing of note has changed since then. More recently, see Keith's
"Photovoltaic Efficiency Measurements" presentation at
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/gen/fy04/36831l.pdf  His last slide says it all.

Best regards,
Joel Davidson