Flash Test Data [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 16 11:08:07 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Hi David,

I used IV curves to optimize voltage strings for Southern California Edison
PV systems because the modules were from an early production run and the
utility was going to perform annual power tests for guaranteed performance.
SMUD required IV curves for 8,600 modules I used on some projects, but I
think they just filed the IV curves in a box and stuck the box in an unused
cubicle. Providing IV curves adds cost, but manufacturers could easily ship
IV curves with each pallet of modules. If module quality is good and
production is uniform, then it should be unnecessary to match IV curves for
projects under around 10 kW. For projects over 10 kW, sorting through
modules and matching IV curves is costly. Do you think that the installers
want IV curves because they do not trust the manufacturer's ratings?

Joel Davidson