Grounding on granite island [RE-wrenches]

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Sat Apr 7 04:44:28 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Several years ago we designed and furnished an off grid 2 kw system for an
extremely remote research facility in Gabon, Africa. It is located on a huge
slab of rock in the middle of the rain forest ,with tall trees all around,
on the equator and miles from the nearest dirt road. Most supplies were
delivered by helicopter. All the buildings were built on piers on the rock,
so a Ufer was not an option. Shallow wet ground was several hundred feet
away at the edge of the rock and near a shallow river. So we supplied a
large sheet of recycled heavy gauge copper roofing with copper grounding
cable soldered to it, and several clamps to attach a #4 copper ground wire
from the array and inverters. Surge protectors were of course built in to
the Outback power panel . 302's I think, probably should have used the
really good one's from Polyphaser, I think. Instructions were to bury this
copper plate in as wet a place ,and as deep, as possible. They have quite a
few lightning storms. So far they are quite pleased with the system, which
powers the office and kitchen, including refrigeration. IE; It hasn't been
zapped yet !

My questions to the assembled wisdom of this group are;
-- was this the best solution and/or could it be improved?
--During the dry season, should they be sure to keep wet the area where it
is buried ?
--Should a lightning protection system, like those used on houses, be
considered? Or is the marginal grounding point the main issue?
--What is the best way to test the effectiveness of the existing ground
system, including the path from PV panel to mounting system [ alum. rack on
wooden support     structure] to ground wire across rock?
        This wire by the way, was supposed to have been encased in latex
modified cement mortar to fasten it to the rock so the people and elephants
wondering thru         camp wouldn't dislodge it !
--What else should be considered?

Everything has to be shipped by container from NY. We have some smaller
systems leaving in several weeks, and if improvements are to be made, this
would be the time.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, and time.

Ken Schaal
CommonWealthSolar,LLC