Grounding on granite island [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler p.undercuffler at conergy.us
Fri Apr 6 19:59:58 PDT 2007

Are they pouring concrete footers?

Establish a Ufer ground by tying to the rebar in the foundation. Here in
the dry Southwest, it's the preferred grounding method in the area --
fast, easy, effective and very nearly free.

Have the concrete sub bend up a piece of the footing rebar, and leave
9-10" exposed out of the slab in the area of the power system.  Connect
to it with a two piece grounding "saddle" clamp, which makes a bronze to
steel connection, and keeps the copper conductor isolated from the
steel.

Of course, if they aren't pouring a concrete foundation this wouldn't
help.

Phil Undercuffler
Technical Services Manager
Conergy, Inc.