Hot water at summer camp [RE-wrenches]

Nick Lucchese nickl at sierrasolar.com
Wed Apr 4 15:19:39 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Greetings Tom,
  Just wondering if you might have some advice on my personal solar
hot water system. It's a simple thermo-syphon design that utilizes an
old electric hot water heater and a 4x8 flat plate collector. Been
using it for 6 years now and it's been wonderful. Luckily I have
three of the collectors since I removed them from a customers house
years ago in preparation to build a shed dormer. One of the
collectors (I believe it's a Heliodyne) recently burst an inch long
gash in one of the internal finned 3/8" tubes. One of the other
collectors had come apart a bit so I just swapped out the copper guts
for now so I can get my shower operational again. I'm just wondering
the best way to repair that 3/8" tube. For one I can't seem to find
any couplers or standard copper fittings in that size. Once I do find
some I'm wondering if I should repair the gash or just cap those two
ends off and lose one of the 12 (guessing) capillaries. I'm certainly
not the greatest at soldering so at this point I'm considering taking
it into someone's shop who is. Any suggestions?

thanks for your time, nick

>Hi All,
>I strongly recommend the SunEarth Copper Heart versus the
>Progressive Tube (TCT) PT-40. The TCT PT-40 uses a .030 copper sheet
>that is welded to form a tube. We have had lots of problems with
>this leaking in agressive water. The Copper Heart  uses extruded
>.058 DWV copper pipe--almost twice as thick. I suggest a Rheem or
>Rudd 80 or 120 gallon wrap around heat exchange tank if the water is
>agressive(low ph., iron oxides, CO2 or O2, etc.. with a SunEarth or
>AET Drainback or pressurized glycol system.
>Gator Tom
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Schaal" <ken at commonwealthsolar.com>

Nick A Lucchese
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
General Contractor # 808851
Sierra Solar Systems
563C Idaho Maryland Road
Grass Valley, CA 95945
tech info and foreign orders:  (530) 273-6754
order line: (800) 51-SOLAR (US only)   FAX:  (530) 273-1760
e-mail:  <mailto:nickl at sierrasolar.com>
world wide web:  <http://www.sierrasolar.com>

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com