Hot water at summer camp [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 07:31:14 PDT 2007

Hello
I agree, except for the back-up heater.  I have
installed up to 70A-240 volt instant heaters with
unhappy customers.  I have installed even the TAGAI
which is rated for solar with unhappy customers
because of the tricks that must be played to get a
shower of uniform temperature.  If the goal is
reasonable showers then use a tank type back up
heater.
Darryl
--- Bill Loesch <solar1online at charter.net> wrote:

> Hi Holt,
>
> Good thinking! If the hot water load is after the
> sun can work all day, the
> ICS heaters are probably a good bet for simplicity
> (and relatively low
> cost). You have checked the structure for your dual
> ICS installation?
>
> You need to choose a backup heater that is
> compatiable with preheated water
> (not all are). As a minimum, a temperature sensor
> for _incoming_ water would
> be required. Be aware of the very large electrical
> demands of an electric
> tankless capable of providing heated water for a
> single shower. Compute the
> temperature rise with the _lowest_ water temperature
> that will reach the
> heater, probably in winter, not the _average_ water
> temperature that so many
> of the clueless tankless marketing folks promote.
> Add dual drain valves
> inboard of the dual shutoff valves so that manual
> descaling is a relatively
> simple operation if/when the tankless heat exchanger
> becomes blocked.
>
> Finally, for both the benefit of the ICS and the
> tankless (and any other
> appliance in the hot water distribution) if you have
> hard water (and
> especially very hard water) you _NEED_ a water
> softener (preferably
> installed only on the hot water side) for minimal
> maintenance.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Bill Loesch
> Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar