Hot water at summer camp [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Sun Mar 18 06:54:22 PDT 2007

Hi Holt,

Good thinking! If the hot water load is after the sun can work all day, the
ICS heaters are probably a good bet for simplicity (and relatively low
cost). You have checked the structure for your dual ICS installation?

You need to choose a backup heater that is compatiable with preheated water
(not all are). As a minimum, a temperature sensor for _incoming_ water would
be required. Be aware of the very large electrical demands of an electric
tankless capable of providing heated water for a single shower. Compute the
temperature rise with the _lowest_ water temperature that will reach the
heater, probably in winter, not the _average_ water temperature that so many
of the clueless tankless marketing folks promote. Add dual drain valves
inboard of the dual shutoff valves so that manual descaling is a relatively
simple operation if/when the tankless heat exchanger becomes blocked.

Finally, for both the benefit of the ICS and the tankless (and any other
appliance in the hot water distribution) if you have hard water (and
especially very hard water) you _NEED_ a water softener (preferably
installed only on the hot water side) for minimal maintenance.

Good luck,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar
314 631 1094