HUP VS Rolls [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Tue Mar 13 15:49:01 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Ray,

I've been told at various times that the characteristics you're describing
are the sign of a highly sulfated battery.  That is, the sulfation causes a
higher source impedance such as you're seeing.  Did any of the sets see
long term intervals of time where they weren't able to reach full
charge?  Are you considering using one of the anti-sulfation pulsing tools
on any of the battery banks?  Maybe they're more prone to sulfation
degradation than other types.

I'm curious to hear all that I can on the Surrettes.  We're looking at
switching to them in a major way this season due to both pricing and
sourcing issues with Trojan in our region.  But the kind of issues that you
and Alan have brought up aren't making this the slam dunk I had hoped...

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT

At 04:21 PM 3/12/2007 -0600, you wrote:

>Good News on the HUP, as the Rolls 5000s we installed about 1 to 2
>years ago are having very disquieting performance. 3 different sets I
>have tested all behave as if they are close to "death". They quickly
>run to below nominal voltage when loaded, and then when charged at a
>c10 to c20 rate, they go to equalize voltages within 5 minutes. If I
>had just been called out on an old system and saw numbers like that,
>I would be shaking my head and recommending a new set of
>batteries.... only I just sold these people new batteries, and talked
>them into the "better", more expensive Rolls. The Rolls were easier
>to install than the HUPs, but the HUPS, Bulldogs, Exide Industrial,
>etc. that I have installed have been very stable, with no problems
>what so ever. Some have been in for almost 10 years.
>Rolls seem to be a completely different battery, they don't like to
>be discharged hard at all. I'm cringing on providing the extended
>warranty I promised too. At least they're easier to move.....I hope I
>don't have to.
>
>Ray

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com