Batten roofs [RE-wrenches]

Steve Fain sfain at unirac.com
Thu Mar 1 11:02:27 PST 2007

Hi Andrew,
	There are special alloys of stainless steel ok for direct contact
with copper (probably expensive), but standard procedure recommends that
brass be used as the interface metal between copper and aluminum.  I've also
seen rubber and vinyl membranes used to isolate dissimilar metals, but these
may lose their insulating properties in time with exposure to the elements.

	Toggle bolts for holding a PV rack to a roof?  We have a mantra here
at UniRac:  "Firmly attached to structural members, Firmly attached to
structural members, Firmly attached to structural members..."  Your battens
are probably nailed to the sheathing, which is probably nailed to the
rafters.  What is the pull-out strength of each nail?  What's their spacing?
What kind of nails are they?  See where I'm going with this?  Without clear
knowledge of the holding strengths of all the fasteners involved, you'd
never be sure about how much live load the system would be able to
withstand.  It's a similar problem with a standing seam metal roof and S-5!
clamps.  I know the S-5! clamps aren't going to come off the standing seams
in a wind storm, but I have no idea how strongly the roof is attached to the
structure.  (We always recommend, if it's at all possible, that the standing
seam connections to the sheathing beneath the array be reinforced with
screws, not nails.)  Nope, sorry.  No toggle bolts, please. We want to see a
nice, beefy lag screw with at least a couple of inches of thread imbedded
into a rafter, that has a pull-out strength and a safety factor that we can
quantify.  Or a thru-bolt, if you have steel purlins.  Any other way and
you'd just be guessing and hoping.

Steve Fain
Customer Service/ Tech Support
UniRac, Inc.