Feedback from City of Berkeley [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Fri Feb 23 21:42:57 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Mark:

I agree with the requirement below for the Fronius, but not for
Xantrex.  99.99% of failures will be in the electronics package, and with
the Xantrex, you can de-energize the electronics to remove them safely.

If the logic is that you need a disconnect to de-energize the active
equipment, I agree.  If you need a disconnect to de-energize the
disconnect, then I disagree.  (The logic for the latter is flawed:  if you
need a disconnect to protect you if you have to work on the disconnect,
then you need a disconnect to de-energize that disconnect, etc, etc.  The
logic is faulty because it is circular.)

William Miller

At 06:15 PM 2/23/2007, you wrote:

>2) You got to have an external safety switch to serve as the PV DC
>Disconnect, mounted next to the inverter, even if you are using a Xantrex or
>Fronius with integrated disconnects.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php