Converting Off-Grid OB to Grid-Tie [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Feb 23 13:05:25 PST 2007

Combining our off-grid and grid-tie inverters is not the cleanest
solution - but it does work.

For the majority of the systems which have been "AC coupled" (i.e
battery type inverter used together with batteryless grid-tied
inverters) we have used the "off-grid" inverter models since they do not
need to sell and they can be stacked in the larger configurations and
tolerate virtually any generator out there.

We do have many customers running our grid-tie battery inverters with
back-up AC generators without problems.  I am comfortable with using
them with any of the "inverter" type generators - which are available
from many sources these days.  With their higher efficiency (especially
at partial load levels) these generator are often ideal for use with a
grid-tied battery back-up system to handle an extended outage.

Christopher Freitas

OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com