AC Connection at Fused Disconnect [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Thu Feb 8 08:21:25 PST 2007

Drake,

I assume you read my previous email with the quote from John Wiles.

At the risk of putting myself in an awkward position I am sending another
quote from a personal communication on the subject from John:

"Note the difference between the tap
rules and the requirements for 690.64(B)(2).  Feeding a circuit from
both ends (grid and inverter) is not the same as a load circuit with
well controlled power flow."

I personally do not understand Johns concern, nor have I found any
references in the Code that call out the difference that John mentions.
However, I do look to John to speak as an authority on the intent and
direction of the Code.

I really haven't un-raveled the whole thing yet.

Right now the authoritative opinion seems to be that if you mount a fused
disconnect right next to the load center and connect it with a close nipple
and tap it with a conductor that has the same ampacity as the feeder, you
should be in a strong position to argue with an AHJ as to the acceptability.

If you want to mount the fused disconnect ten feet away from the load center
and tap it with a smaller conductor having an ampacity matching the fuses in
the disconnect, you are on your own.

MPF