triple junction vs single crystalline [RE-wrenches]

Joe Felker joe.felker at alumni.stevens-tech.edu
Wed Feb 7 05:20:24 PST 2007

Keith,
UniSOlar has a white paper that states that in areas with lots of
diffuse light like Western Europe, their product has a higher "energy
yield".  See their white paper at:

http://www.uni-solar.com/uploadedFiles/0.4.2_white_paper_3.pdf

They argue that the triple junction covers a wider light spectrum and i
sless temperaure dependent.  Also, with a diode on each cell the product
is more shade tolerant.
I have no personal experience with the Uni-Solar product.
Joe

Keith Cronin wrote:

> Ok
>

> I got the call from a client that wanted to utilize a roofing solar
> integrated material and that they were told it is by far better than
> single
> crystalline.
>

> They stated it is 4 watts per sq ft vs 10 watts for single, but that
> overall, in intermittent weather, and average over the coarse of the
> day,
> triple makes more kW.
>

> They also stated due to tax credits, that they can consider the roof
> membrane as the "structure" aka racking, and take the tax credits on the
> whole roof.
>

> Any takers on this debate?
>

> Thanks
>

> Keith Cronin