Roofing Question [RE-wrenches]

Bruce Leininger bruce.leininger at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 29 12:12:12 PST 2007

Hi Barbara.  Thank for taking the time to respond to my question.  I did
a product search at McMaster Carr and found the Butyl-Rubber Sealing
Tape, p/n 76385A15.  Is that the product you were referring to?  I've
also had experience with the SM5228 (Butyl) TACKY TAPE from
SCHNEE-MOREHEAD and found it easy to work with.  I wonder if that would
be a comparable product.

I also had some questions about application.  Are you using this for
flat roof applications:  e.g. tar & gravel and modified bitumen?  Do you
just seal the stanchion to the roof, or do you also install a flashing
and seal that with the butyl tape as well?  If you do, do you just press
attach the flashing to the roof with the butyl rubber, or do you put
some nails in the flashing?

500+ systems with no leaks is an amazing record.  I'd like to make sure
I get the technique right.

Thanks.

Bruce Leininger

Construction Manager

GRID Alternatives

995 Market Street, Suite 801

San Francisco, CA 94103

C: 415-571-1764

F: 415.520.2120

/www.gridalternatives.org/

/GRID Alternatives' mission is to empower communities in need to meet
their basic requirements of health, education, and economic opportunity
by providing renewable energy and energy efficiency services, equipment,
and training.  GRID Alternatives works collaboratively with communities
and local organizations to identify specific needs and to develop
renewable energy solutions that are environmentally, socially, and
economically sustainable. We believe that environmental stewardship,
women's rights,and humanitarian protection are integral to these
sustainable solutions./

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com