Roofing Question [RE-wrenches]

Steve Fain sfain at unirac.com
Fri Jan 26 10:24:06 PST 2007

Hi Bruce,
	I'm one of the "lurkers" on the Wrenches List, a corporate
representative not allowed to post unless responding to a direct question or
issue on the list, but in this instance I feel it necessary to pipe up with
some important info I learned recently, so that you Wrenches can learn from
my mistakes.
	As a residential contractor for over 20 years, I used
premium-quality polyurethane-based sealants, including Sikaflex, for almost
every exterior caulking application.  Good handling characteristics, sticks
well to most surfaces without a lot of prep, plenty of colors available, and
flexible for ever.  It was with great horror that I learned recently from a
customer who had spoken with a tech support rep from Sikaflex, that
polyurethane-based sealants are not compatible with petroleum-based
substances, ie. comp shingles and tar roofs.  The best recommendation I've
heard so far for sealing  petroleum-based components is to use butyl rubber
caulk.

 ...and while I'm at it (sorry, Michael!), here's another little kernel of
wisdom I learned in the "Cub Scouts":  Never use silicone caulk where it'll
be exposed to the elements.  The stuff just doesn't stick well without a lot
of prep and loses elasticity with exposure to weather.

Steve Fain
Customer Service/ Tech Support
UniRac, Inc.
1411 Broadway Blvd. NE