Inverter tripping AFCI [RE-wrenches]

Jim Easton jim at altenertec.com
Fri Jan 12 10:41:58 PST 2007

We have customer with a pair of SW5548s grid-tie feeding an AFCI protected
load. The AFCI trips when energized -- thus disconnecting the load.

I am concerned that there might really be an arc fault somewhere -- although
I would expect it to burn itself out eventually, or, more probably, the SWs
are generating electrical noise that is tripping the AFCI.

Anyone have experience with inverters & AFCIs that might help in analyzing
or correcting the situation?

Thank you.

Jim Easton PE
Alternative Energy Technologies