AGS problems with Outback system [RE-wrenches]

Jonah Liebes jliebes at heliopower.com
Tue Dec 4 09:21:20 PST 2007

Hi All,

I need help! I have an ongoing problem with the Automatic Generator Start on
a (2) VFX 3624 system. The system is supplied by a rather small 800 Wp solar
array and (6) 12V seal batteries.

Here's the problem: the starting of the back-up generator is not reliable.
It will load start when the well kicks on as it's supposed to. It will
usually volt start when the timed, low voltage threshold is reached, but not
always.

Also, if and when it does come on, it will "cycle" on and off every 15-60
seconds. The cycling could go on for hours: on for up to a minute, then off
for 15 or so seconds, then back on for a minute, then off again. One strange
thing is that the cycling will occur even when the generator control is set
to 'manual'. I do hear the relay in the Outback closing contacts which
signals the gen to start, so I don't think it's the generator itself.

I've just replaced the battery bank, added 300 Wp of PV and reset the Mate
to factory defaults and reprogrammed it with Outback on the phone. Nothing
has affected the problem though.

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. I've spent hours
troubleshooting and head scratching with and without Outback tech support
and nobody has figured it out yet.

Thanks in advance,

Jonah Liebes

NABCEPT Cert.