Federal business tax credits - not applicable if business uses AMT? [RE-wre

Bob Clark bclark at solar-wind.us
Thu Aug 30 11:25:15 PDT 2007

WRENCHES:

PREFACE: This system is NOT in California; it is in Washington (state, the OTHER Washington).

A potential business customer told us that without being able to use the federal 30% tax credit for businesses, he could not afford to install the large PV system we designed for him (pay back time was too long). He said he talked to his tax consultant and that his tax consultant told him that he could not use the RE tax credit because he was using the alternative minimum tax (ATM).

How does the ATM work and how does it preclude using the RE tax credit? If indeed it does, why? Is there any movement afoot to change this? I am not looking for legally binding tax advice, just a layman's description of how these things work. Can anyone out there relate similar experiences?

This was a real bummer to hear this because this would have been quite a system (many electrons and substantial $s).

Bob Clark
SolarWind Energy Systems, LLC

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php