Switching Array leads[RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Sat Jul 28 05:39:53 PDT 2007

As I recall, the older code required both the positive and negative leads of an array to be switched at the array dis-connect. I think at the time there was no DC ground fault required and most of these were low voltage arrays. More recently, I believe the code indicates only the "un-grounded" lead to be switched, which would imply just the positive lead. Since we now have ground fault circuits I think this may also be related to the ground fault working properly since it needs to "see" the potential between the grounding conductor and the negative before it is grounded.

However, in the recent issue of HomePower there is a system showing both the positive and negative leads being switched at the array dis-connect. Am I wrong and this is not code, ground fault, or high voltage related issue and it is up to the installer? Since all dis-connects are either 2 or 3 pole, it is not a cost issue, so under what (if any) circumstances would you switch only the positive and allow the negative and array frame grounding conductor to pass through the dis-connect.

Thanks,

Jeff Yago

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com