US Battery failure rates [RE-wrenches]

Bob Ellison reellison at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 05:37:38 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Has anyone had a high failure rate with US Battery L-16's
I now have 3 batteries that I have replaced that were picked up in Jan
05. The first failed within a year. They were installed in different
systems within 6 months of being picked up. The rest of the batteries
in the packs are fine.
All have a single cell failure, in that a cell boils (gasses) under
very low voltages or loads.I am assuming it is shorted internally.
Sitting voltages are 4+ volts for each battery, so it is definitely a
bad cell. The distributor is a 250 mile drive from here so I have not
loaded them up and returned them sooner, cheaper to eat one or two
than take the time and fuel to return them.
My thought at this point is to run from US Battery to someone else,
just unsure who!

Just wondering what every one's experiences are with these.

On another note, I just installed a 4000# battery from Hawker and they
did not solder the Anderson connectors on the cables, they were just
held on by the heat shrink and pulled apart easily, here is the
irritating part, these are a cone and taper, held in with a 7/16 head
bolt. They are sending the distributor 300 miles to change them under
warranty instead of just sending another set for me to put on and
return the originals. I guess I am not authorized to tighten the
bolts!!

Thanks,
Bob Ellison

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com