SMA 6000U does it self limit on over power. [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Tue Jun 12 14:26:41 PDT 2007

Darryl / Wrenches:

All of the new US series products automatically limit both power and
current.
Going into power or current limit on the occasional cold clear day is
no big deal for the inverter.  It will simply go to it's rated power at
sit there.  You lose a few Watts for a short period of time so the
Whrs/yr lost is trivial.   If, on the other hand, the inverter is
sitting at full power every afternoon the array is clearly oversized.

The 7500 Watts max PV input is a guideline.  The real answer to what is
the biggest array I can use depends on a lot of variables and so is best
answered with an a system simulation program.

As Steve noted, the big issue is inverter over voltage so be sure the
inverter does not see more than 600 Vdc on the worst case coldest day.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

John Berdner

>>> stevejohnson at comcast.net 6/11/2007 03:30:12 AM >>>

Darryl,

For some reason your text doesn't show up online. It was in the daily
email though.

The SB 6000US shows max DC input of 7,500 watts on their cut sheet.
I've been working on an estimate using one of them. They say in their
class that over voltage is the killer, not over wattage. At any rate
you are at 7,000 w DC so seems ok.

Steve Johnson
LightWave Solar Electric
Nashville, Tennessee