Unfused AC Disconnects with neutral terminal [RE-wrenches]

Ron Stephan rstephan at solaresystems.com
Tue May 22 13:21:50 PDT 2007

Hi all,
I need some advice on AC disconnects for residential systems. The
utility in New York requires an lockable AC disconnect close to the
meter. Even if a lot of the inverters now come with integrated
disconnects, depending on the inverter location we often need an
additional AC disconnect.

With all kinds of inverters coming out with a neutral for IEEE 1547
compliance, I have a hard time finding unfused, 120/240Vac, 30A or 60A
disconnects with a neutral terminal. We been using a lot of SquareD's
DU221 and DU222 but there is no neutral terminal available for those. I
been thinking of just pulling the neutral straight though the disconnect
(continuous from the inverter to the breaker ) without attaching to a
neutral terminal but I am not sure that meets the code.

Does anybody has a better idea?  Are there disconnects out there that
meet the purpose?

Thanks,
Ron

Ron Stephan